A delicious apple dessert baked in a custard, that is extremely simple to make. It’s a nice alternative to the every day apple pie.
It’s assembly is not fussy, and the ingredients are readily available to even the most inexperienced baker.
- 3 apples (Use a tart apple like Golden Delicious)
- 1/3 cup sugar + ½ tsp cinnamonCustard
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbs American Honey*
- Tube of Crescent dough (the kind without perforations)
- For the dough:Unroll the tube of dough on a board that is dusted with sugar – not flour.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Roll out the dough using light pressure until the dough is just slightly larger. The dough should measure about 12" to 14 inches.
- Place dough in a metal pizza pan lined with parchment paper.
- Peel the apples, core them with a melon baller and cut into thin slices (about 1/4"). As they are cut, place them in a large bowl with some sugar mixture. This will keep them from turning brown.
- Arrange in rows on the dough. Fold up and over the edges to form a bit of a “crust”.
- To make the custard:
- Beat the heavy cream with the flour, sugar, American Honey (a mixture of honey and whiskey), and egg. Whisk thoroughly and pour carefully over the apple slices, try not to spill over the edges.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, You can also top it with slivered almonds at this time.
- The tart is done when the top has browned and a toothpick plunged into the custard comes out clean.