- Package Egg Roll Wraps (found in produce section)about 15 sheets
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) packages firm tofu, well-drained
- 8 ounces Non Fat, cream cheese Neufchatel
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well-drained
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons basil (dried or fresh)
- 2 teaspoons parsley (dried or fresh)
- ground pepper
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 pgk Italian bread crumbs
- 1 cup pizza / tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of ketchup
2 tablespoons horseradish
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
squirt of lemon juice
Tabasco sauce, to taste
- First press your tofu!
To Press tofu, drain any liquid from the block of tofu. Fold paper towels around the tofu and set a big wrought iron skillet on top of it to press out the excess moisture. Allow to sit for about an hour to press.
In olive oil, saute chopped onions and garlic, Stir in mushrooms, basil and parsley and saute for a few more minutes.
- When you chop the garlic: first smash it with the side of your knife. This will loosen the paper like skin. Then cut each clove lengthwise. If you find a tiny green line, take the tip of your knife and pop this out. If not, it will add a very unwanted bitter taste.
- In a bowl, combine saute pan contents with well-squeezed / drained tofu and the cream Neufchatel cheese.
- Add well-drained spinach to saute pan and heat briefly to remove any remaining moisture in spinach. Incorporate into "cheese" mixture, salt and pepper liberally.
- Cover bowl and let sit in fridge for at least 30 minutes, preferably over night-The longer it sits together, the better the flavors meld.
Cut the Egg Roll Wraps in half with a table knife.
Here are 30 nice large ravioli ready for the freezer.
Preheat a deep fryer to 350 degrees F. Working in batches, carefully drop the frozen ravioli into the oil and fry until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes, making sure that the oil comes back up to temperature in between batches. Place directly onto a cooling rack lined with aluminum foil to drain any excess oil. Serve hot on a plate sprinkled with freshly grated Parmesan on top and warm tomato sauce on the side.