Friday, February 9, 2018

Blake Brockington Green Beans & Potatoes

This classic mixture deserves another go around. Simple and plain yet comforting and satisfying. We name it in honor of a young leader lost too soon. Please read the short story of his life after the recipe.


Fresh green beans, onions and potatoes: inexpensive comfort meal just the thing for when weather is questionable and you want to serve a meal of love and warmth.



Ingredients:
2 lbs fresh green beans
8 oz seasoning ham
1 onion, diced
3-4 large yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups chicken broth


1 tsp pepper *
*Hold off adding any salt because sometimes the seasoning ham is very salty.




Directions:
Wash and trim beans then cut into 2-inch pieces; set aside. Chop the onion. Peel and cut potatoes into large cubes




In a skillet, heat and stir in the seasoning ham. Sometimes this has plenty of grease in it so watch and adjust accordingly. Cook until starting to brown, ( about 8 minutes). Add onion and beans then continue to sauté until onion is translucent. (about 3 more minutes) Remove from heat.





Dump the potatoes into a Dutch oven.






Add chicken broth, pepper and bean mixture (with pan drippings) to the pot then bring to a boil. 
 




Once boiling, cover then reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Let rest 10 minutes before serving.




Notes:
  • You can make this with canned beans (probably 4-5 cans). Drain the beans and skip sautéing them. Just mix the drained beans with the onion and bacon before adding everything to the potatoes. Canned beans aren't as good but they're still pretty tasty.
  • You can also make this in a crock pot. Follow recipe except use a crock pot instead of the large pot or Dutch oven. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 or until potatoes are tender.
  • You can also use red potatoes. Don't use russet or baking potatoes. They won't hold up being boiled this long.

A simple tasty southern favorite. Serve with an old fashioned side of cottage cheese & peaches. Maybe some warm bread.


So honored to be Master Indy's slave.
socialslave

To satisfy and restore.
To nourish, support and maintain.
To gratify, spoil, comfort and please,
to nurture, assist, and sustain
..I cook!

Please buy slave's cookbook:

The Little Black Book of Indiscreet Recipes by 

Dan White
 





======================================
Blake Brockington



Life was a constant battle for Blake Brockington, a young teen who became a leader before he was ready for it. He was born in 1996 and assigned as “female” at birth. Yet he always knew this was wrong.

Then in his high school sophomore year he started to do something about it. He said he always felt like a boy and chafed at being forced to wear dresses to church and family affairs.
I felt like I’ve lived my entire life as a lie,” Blake says in a documentary. “I grew up in Charleston, S.C., in a Southern Baptist home. I’ve always been kind of different. It was always a bad thing in my family, but they never really said anything.
I remember finding out when I was six that I wasn’t like the other boys. I remember being forced into dresses and under hot combs. ... I remember learning to play the piano, imagining that one day I’d be the piano man. I remember my first orchestra concert when I was eight and I cried because I wanted to wear a tux. ... I remember hating my name and hoping that maybe I could bleed it out of my life. I remember coming to terms with the fact that I’d never be enough. I remember being jealous of my nephew because he’d be tall and man enough for the world like the other beautiful men in our family. I remember hating my body so much that I wanted to burn it alive in the hopes that it would have the effect on me that fires have on forests. I remember when I lost faith in friendship because misunderstanding manifested disgust in my existence. I remember realizing that there was no place for me here. I remember finding myself and finally loving him. I remember it being too late.”

He came out publicly as transgender while attending high school as a tenth grade student. His family was not supportive of his decision to go FTM, so Brockington chose to live with a foster family during his transition.

He chose the name Blake after it came to him in a dream and because he liked how masculine it sounded. He was taking testosterone, which was covered by Medicaid, and had planned to get a mastectomy once he was able to afford it.

In 2014, Brockington received national attention for being the first openly transgender high school homecoming king in North Carolina after collecting the most money for the school's chosen charity. He later indicated the process had been tough on him, saying, "That was single-handedly the hardest part of my trans journey. Really hateful things were said on the Internet. It was hard. I saw how narrow-minded the world really is."

His reaction was to began publicly advocating for transgender and LGBT youth issues.
"I honestly feel like this is something I have to do," Brockington, who mentored several younger trans students, at the time he was named homecoming king. "Nobody should be scared to be themselves, and everybody should have an equal opportunity to have an enjoyable high school experience."

The numbers themselves have been staggering. National surveys show that 41 percent of transgender or gender nonconforming adults have self-reported a suicide attempt, compared with 4.6 percent of the overall U.S. population. Transgender men have the highest rate, with 46 percent reporting suicide attempts.

For many years, the “T” in LGBT was an afterthought, and even some gays and lesbians haven’t always been accepting. However things are changing, thanks to people like Blake speaking out and mentoring others.

Blake was a real hero to a lot of people,” Keisling said. “He was fairly high-profile for a teenager. ... He really stood up for himself and for all of us. He was just such a good, strong leader and spokesperson. But perhaps it was all a bit too much for our young hero.

Blake was a figure. People saw Blake as part of a movement,” said O’Neale Atkinson, Time Out Youth’s director of youth programs. “There were a lot of expectations put on him to be a leader at a very young age.”

Prior to his death, Brockington had indicated that he had experienced years of depression and destructive behavior, such as self-harming. He also indicated that he had previously had suicidal thoughts.

Two months before his death, he posted on his Tumblr page "Even if I got better in my head, I would never want to continue on in a world like this." A month prior, he posted "I’m waiting on the moment when me and my darkness split from my body."

Yet no one stepped in. Brockington died on March 23, 2015 after being struck by several vehicles on the outer loop of Interstate 485 in Charlotte. The incident was considered a suicide.

Many have noted that what happened to Brockington fits a dangerous pattern of harmful behavior by transgender youth - who often face disproportionate amounts of bullying, harassment, discrimination, and violence. Josh Burford, assistant director for sexual and gender diversity at UNC Charlotte, who had worked with Brockington on the exhibit at the Levine Museum, told the press "What happened to Blake is part of a systemic problem, especially for trans students of color. He didn’t quit. He didn’t give up. ... He’s a victim of what happens every single day to these kids."

Other memorial services were held in cities such as Minneapolis, Washington, D.C., and an additional service in Charlotte.



If you are a trans or gender-nonconforming person considering suicide, Trans Lifeline can be reached at 877-565-8860. LGBT youth (ages 24 and younger) can reach the Trevor Project Lifeline at 1-866-488-7386. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 can also be reached 24 hours a day by people of all ages and identities.

We can not afford to merely sit and wonder what might have been. We must work together to make things change. Somewhere a young person is watching.



No comments:

Post a Comment