Thursday, May 9, 2019

Hurley's V8 Dinner

Tonight's meal is dedicated to racing icon Hurley Haywood and LGBT hero.
We will use the slow cooker to simmer a chuck roast with onions, stewed tomatoes, and carrots in a sauce of vegetable juice that makes a wonderful tomato style gravy.


Yes, this will be a full meal that mostly cooks itself but we will add some roasted vegetables to make the meal!

Ingredients:
2-3 lbs chuck roast
1 yellow onion, sliced thin
1 28oz can stewed tomatoes
1 cup baby carrots
2 cups low salt V8 Juice
2 tbs oil

Directions:
Always start by wiping out and spraying the slow cooker.

 Slice the onion and spread on the bottom of the cooker.



Heat oil in a skillet and brown the roast on both sides, about 6 minutes
each.

 
Add the carrots to the cooker, then the meat. 


 
Cover with the can of stewed tomatoes and the 2 cups vegetable juice. Cover and let cook on low for 8 hours.



Roasted Vegetables

Ingredients:
2 zucchini
½ package broccoli florets
1 red onion
1 large can sweet potatoes, rinsed

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees line a baking sheet with foil.
Peel and cut the zucchini, rinse the sweet potatoes, cut the red onion in wedges.


Place everything in a large bowl with ¼ cup olive oil and stir well.

Arrange on tray and roast in the bottom rack of the oven to 25 minutes.
Stir and return for another 10 to 15 minutes.

Now to put the meal together:

Carefully remove meat and wrap with foil, let rest for 5 minutes.
Make instant mashed potatoes.

 Dip out 3 ladles of the cooking juices into a saucepan and add ¼ cup flour. Stir and heat until thickened into a wonderful gravy!

Now arrange meat on a platter with some of the stewed tomatoes. Serve the mashed potatoes with gravy by the side, and a big bowl of the roasted vegetables.


What a meal!



So honored to serve my Master Indy

socialslave

To satisfy and restore.
To nourish, support and maintain.
To gratify, spoil, comfort and please,
to nurture, assist, and sustain
..I cook!

Please buy slave's cookbook:

The Little Black Book of Indiscreet Recipes by Dan White http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F315Y4I/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_vAT4sb0934RTM via @amazon




Hurley Haywood


 urley Haywood is a car racing legend with a five 24 Hours of Daytona wins, two 12 Hours of Sebring wins, one Trans-Am title, three 24 Hours of Le Mans winner, and two IMSA GT championships. 
 
Hurley Haywood might have been a model. Graced with a trim frame, blond hair and Paul Newman-blue eyes, Haywood acquired the reputation of the most eligible bachelor in the world of racecar driving. Noted for his skill at driving endurance races he is tied as the most successful driver in Daytona history.

Through it all, Haywood maintained his privacy, much to the confoundment of his fans and the legions of women (and men) who swooned Now 70, Haywood's blue eyes still shine and his perfect smile captivates.

Then in his near perfect career, two major events happened that spun his world around. Last year Racing legend Hurley Haywood revealed the lifelong secret that threatened his picture-perfect image (being gay) and set the record straight about his co-driver's shocking death. 

His co-driver was Peter Gregg, the wealthy, star-crossed Harvard graduate who met Haywood, eight years his junior, at an autocross in Florida. Haywood, driving a Chevrolet Corvette, beat the ultra-competitive Gregg, who was driving a new Porsche 911, attended to by a pit crew. The two men struck up a relationship that lasted until Gregg died at age 40. 
 

To say Haywood and Gregg were close is an understatement: The two men even shared a birthday, May 4. But decades of rumors that cast the two as a couple are patently false, Haywood says. "The idea that Peter and I were lovers -- totally not true."
 
What was true: Gregg was a difficult, complex, brilliant man, with mental health issues that could be controlled by medication. "But Peter thought he was too smart to have to rely on medication," Haywood recalls. Once, Gregg lined up his lithium pills on his desk, then brushed them into the wastebasket. "I'm stronger than any drug," he said then. "He thought," Haywood says, "‘I can deal with this on my own.'" He couldn't.
 
He married Deborah Marrs, a 25-year-old art director, "a really nice girl," Haywood says, "who had no idea what she was getting into. Nine days after they were married, he killed himself." Peter Gregg ended his life with a .38-caliber bullet on Dec. 15, 1980. His body was found by a hiker near the beach south of Jacksonville. In his briefcase, he had left a suicide note that said, in part: "I just don't enjoy life anymore. I must have the right to end it."

His suicide affected Haywood deeply. Seven months earlier, Gregg was involved in a traffic accident in France en route to Le Mans. He was unable to race and was replaced in the 24 Hours by Derek Bell. Gregg's eyesight was affected, and he missed half the IMSA races that season, a tough blow for a man who was the winningest IMSA GT driver in series history. Gregg couldn't keep up, and it seems likely his vision issues were the cause. One day after having lunch with Hurley and the new wife, Gregg bought a pistol in the morning, killed himself in the afternoon.
 
No one knows what ultimately led Gregg to suicide, but Haywood suspects it was multiple factors, not the least of which was the realization that the man other racers called "Peter Perfect" was no longer the best. "Peter could not accept the fact that he was not the top dog anymore." "If I had been trained to look for trigger points," Haywood says, "I would have been able to see it well in advance."

Haywood is well aware that his sexual orientation will be the central takeaway for many readers and viewers. 'I started racing in 1969. The racing community has sort of known my sexuality. It's never been a problem, it's never been an issue, but it's never been something that's been publicly discussed before.

So why come out now?' Hurley described that he granted an interview to a young man that was in high school. "He was doing a term paper on the business of racing. About halfway through the interview, he stopped cold in his tracks and looked at me. He said, "I'm gay. I've been bullied my whole life. I wake up every morning and I want to commit suicide. I just don't see a path that I can take that's going to be successful. And my friend told me you would be a good person to talk to."

So, I said "you've got to remember a few things. It's not what you are, it's who you are that matters." It's the who part that people remember. What you are doesn't really mean anything in the great scheme of things. I said, "everybody has barriers they need to knock down. If you allow a barrier to block your flow of progress, you're not going to go anywhere. So you've got to be willing to commit to do what you want to do, and don't let any barrier stand in the way of your objective." The retired race car legend told the young men about a couple of places where he could go to get some support. 
 
"Two years later I got a call from his mother. I had this sinking feeling that she was calling to tell me he had committed suicide. And she said, "I just want you to know what you told my son saved his life." That coming from a mother is pretty heavy stuff. And I thought if my voice is strong enough to save one kid, maybe we can save two, or ten. 
 
Every 40 seconds an American commits suicide.

 
Think about that a minute. You know, the young, gay kids are having a hard time. Today's kids—the pressure on them is enormous, peer pressure. A lot of kids can't cope with that, especially a gay kid who maybe has some effeminate traits or acts differently than everybody else. They're a target for bullies. It's hard for kids to cope with that. So I figured if I could give a positive image to somebody, that's great." It's a powerful thing, coming out. It's still really shocking the effect it can have. There was no real need for it earlier. "I was sort of uncomfortable talking about it in the beginning. But the friends that I had, both teammates, team owners, and friends, knew I was gay. 



 It was not something we necessarily discussed a lot, but they knew it and I didn't have to hide it from them. I didn't know if my fans would be able to handle it. But the result—the book and the movie—has been really supportive. I've not gotten really one negative comment from anybody, and I've had thousands and thousands of replies. I just have people come up to me and say "I always thought you were a great racing driver, and now I realize you're also a great person." That's the biggest compliment I can ever get. Were there others? Other drivers in the closet? "No. Again, it's…you're in a sport that has a certain image to it. I think that active professional racing drivers have to worry about—not so much their own group, but to their sponsors. Their sponsors might not like someone that's gay representing their company. It's still something that is sensitive but is getting better. I didn't know anyone personally, but I'm sure there are others." 

 
It took nearly 40 years for him to come out publicly as gay in his 2018 autobiography Hurley: From The Beginning, which has been made into a documentary, simply titled Hurley, now available on streaming services and on demand. Still, this giant in racing is focused on raising awareness of the suicide epidemic in this country. He is lending his voice and stature to help the countless LGBT youth who might be considering this fatal mistake. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment