Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Cyril's Sandwich


Writers get the craziest dreams. I found my dreams “visited” by a person I had written about in passing a few days ago, Cyril Wilcox. A young Harvard student who committed suicide 100 years ago. He could not cope with the pressures of homophobia rampant at the time. His visit, he informed me, was to thank me for such a nice piece on my “writings”. And he said he wanted to tell me about a favorite sandwich that he and his friends enjoyed, back in the day. Well the next day when I tried to make the sandwich, I found it needed a modern translation. Bread today can not hold up like the bread back then. 


Cyril's sandwich is great for a brunch, and I urge you to try this egg, sausage and cheese delight. I assure you, you can trust a recipe from a ghost who had been departed since 1920!


Ingredients:
¼ cup loose cooked sausage
3 eggs
2 Tbs dry pancake mix
2 slices of a sturdy wheat bread
2 slices of American cheese

Directions: 



Cook up the sausage over medium heat, about 6 minutes should do it. Here I split open bratwurst for the sausage, and then used only about half of the meat. Turn the heat down a touch.





While you whip up the 3 eggs and fold in the 2 Tbs of dry pancake mix. This does not have to be blended well. You want lumps! Let this sit while the sausage cooks and skillet cools.

Then pour the egg mixture over the sausage and mix slightly.



Place two slices of bread on this, let it soak for only a tiny bit and flip the bread over. You want the bread to still have egg on it.

Let that cook until the egg sets. Turn each piece over and top with cheese. Cover skillet to melt and then place cheese sides together. 


Serve. (Cyril recommended lightly buttering the outsides, but it is hardly necessary)


What a wonderful way to re-imagine a grilled cheese sandwich!


Looking forward to serving this for a Master's Brunch!
socialslave

To satisfy and restore.
To nourish, support and maintain.
To gratify, spoil, comfort and please,
to nurture, assist, and sustain
..I cook!

Please buy slave's cookbook:

The Little Black Book of Indiscreet Recipes by Dan White http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F315Y4I/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_vAT4sb0934RTM via @amazon





No comments:

Post a Comment