- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1pkg rice & vermicelli mix beef flavor
- 1 14oz. can beef broth (low sodium)
- 2 tbs all purpose flour
- pkg frozen tater tots
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- optional: milk
- Pkg frozen mixed vegetables
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut up the onion.
- Brown ground beef (or turkey) until all gray is gone, Add onion and saute 5 minutes more. Remove from pan and drain well.
- Fix rice & vermicelli mix according to package directions. Most will tell you when to add the beef. It will be after you have brought the rice up to a boil. Then reduce heat and cover. Let it simmer for 13 – 15 minutes.
- While that simmers. In a medium pan on medium heat, mix the flour into the beef broth. Bring to a boil while stirring until thickened. If it gets thicker than a gravy, add a tbs of milk, but don't overdo.
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables to the beef sauce and stir to combine and set off of the heat.
- When rice & beef is ready, spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Now layer the beef-rice,
- then the vegetables,
sprinkle with half of the shredded cheddar cheese.Arrange the potato tots on top
- finish off with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes.