Sunday, May 14, 2017

Tea Cup Meatloaves for Mom

Putting this recipe together on Mother's Day,I dedicate this to my Mother who was never a good cook. Yet I remember her meatloaf and wish I knew how she did it!


Here are little portioned meatloaves. A way to elevate this fine old comfort food to a bit of elegance and love, like our memories of Mom herself.


Ingredients

Loaves:
  • 1½ Lbs ground beef
  • ½ lbs ground turkey
  • 1 Bratwurst, uncooked
  • 1 Block of Havarti cheese
  • 1 medium onion, grated
  • ½ cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon mustard
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 pkg onion-mushroom soup mix
Glaze:
  • 4 tbs ketchup
--
  • 2 cups BBQ sauce warmed

Directions


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment.

Break up the hamburger and ground turkey into a large bowl and use your hands to lightly work in the onion, bread crumbs, egg, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic powder, and dry soup mix. Take care not to overwork the mixture.



Slice on onion thinly and lay out on the baking sheet.


Divide the meatloaf mixture into 6 equal portions on a piece of waxed paper.
Spread these into disk shaped pieces.


Press a cube of cheese into the center.



Slice a bratwurst into 6 pieces and cut off the skins.



  Place a slice of bratwurst on the cheese cube. Press the meat around it to enclose it completely.


Spray a tea cup with cooking spray and gently shape this resulting ball into the cup and invert the little loaf onto a slice of onion in the pan. You may need a table knife to loosen it.



Repeat for the other little loafs

Brush about 1 tablespoon of the ketchup over the top and sides of each meatloaf.

Bake for 45 minutes to an hour until the temps reach 160 degrees on an inserted thermometer.



To serve, ladle some Warmed up BBQ sauce into the centers of the plates, and set the meatloaves on top.



Served with a plain green vegetable and some macroni & cheese.

For our music tonight, one of my mom's favorites:


Henry Van Dyke wrote a poem that was so important to me when my mother passed away. I had been honored to sleep in a chair in her bedroom that last week of Alzheimer's death grip. Being allowed to care for her in her last hours as she had surly cared for me. To comfort her when she woke in the night. To hold her hand when it was shaking.

Gone From My Sight

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship, at my side,
spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts
for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck
of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.



Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone."


Gone where?


Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast,
hull and spar as she was when she left my side.
And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me -- not in her.

And, just at the moment when someone says, "There, she is gone,"
there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices
ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"

And that is dying...

Honored to serve
socialslave

To satisfy and restore.
To nourish, support and maintain.
To gratify, spoil, comfort and please,
to nurture, assist, and sustain
..I cook!

Please buy slave's cookbook:

The Little Black Book of Indiscreet Recipes 

by 


No comments:

Post a Comment