Friday, July 4, 2014

Mikl's Magic Salads

 

 

Mikl's Magic Waldorf Salad

This classic salad was first served in 1893 at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel of New York City. Its simplicity made it a big favorite: just chopped apples, celery, grapes, and walnuts in mayonnaise. Some time after “Eagle Brand” sweetened condensed milk was marketed, they offered a recipe for “Magic Mayonnaise”. Both of these have been tweaked over the years and slave thought it would make a fun salad for you.


Mikl's Magic mayonnaise
1 can sweetened condensed milk Non-fat
½ cup
white vinegar
½ cup vegetable oil
(canola oil works fine also olive oil)
2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 pinch cayenne pepper
2 egg yolks:
slave uses pasteurized eggs since this is not cooked.

Salad Ingredients

  • ½ cup chopped, slightly toasted walnuts
  • ½ cup celery, diced
  • ½ cup of dried cranberries
  • 3 sweet apples, cored and chopped Like Gala
  • Mikl's Magic Mayonnaise (Use no more than half of above recipe)
  • 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

Directions:
In small mixer bowl, combine all ingredients for the mayonnaise. Whisk until mixture thickens. (cover and refrigerate to blend flavors.)
Store leftovers in a clean
sealed jar.

In a non stick skillet on medium high heat toast the walnuts. No need to any oil. Stir occasionally. This step will make your dish stand out above any store bought salad! This only takes about 5 minutes and you can tell when its done because of the wonderful aroma that comes up! Just don't burn your nuts ;-)


In a large bowl, mix the apples, celery, walnuts, and cranberries. Then add about a half of the recipe for Mikl's Magic mayonnaise. This is best chilled overnight. Serve on a leaf of lettuce. 


 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Confetti Fruit salad
This is a take on the classic Five Cup Salad, just a bit healthier.


Ingredients:
1 can tropical blend fruit salad in juice – well drained.
1 cup toasted walnuts
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1 cup pastel mini marshmallows
1 5 oz carton of non fat plain Greek style yogurt.

Directions:
Mix in a large bowl until well combined and chill overnight.

Hope You enjoy these simple fresh takes on the Olde American Classics!

Independence and This slave


The post today is highly personal. I guess at times all writing has to be. Let me share this part of my life with you.

My Master Indy, in His directives for this blog stated:
“I am glad you are not fearful of Independence – as it can change your life. Imagine if you were independent in your living arrangement as an example?
“For your posts on 7/4 I would like you to have 4 things listed that you wished you could be independent from.”

Masters are like slave's GPS. “He sets the direction, you get there yourself under His guidance.”


Independence in my own apartment.
This must not sound like much. However slave has been trying to arrange that for over a year now. The thought of living without the constant “put-downs” and snide comments from a family that does not like you starts to feel like a fantasy.
I remind myself that living alone does not mean living by myself. It would allow me to serve not only my Master, but also my friends and neighbors. People I like and like me. Not people I'm chained to by blood I never agreed to. Having pot lucks and full sit down dinner parties like I hosted so many years ago. It brings back memories of my first moving out of the parents home so very long ago.


Independence from the end of month poverty! So often people who make a higher salary, simply have more money to be broke with! I guess slave is saying he wants independence from the lack of order in my spending, and in my planning. When I find money in my account at the start of the month, it is like seeing your penis reattached and watching it grow a “Boner”!


Independence from my poor health! Could this also be taken care of by better planning and a reduction in weight? That wouldn't hurt. It might not stop the aging process and chronic problems. It would certainly help to slow the deterioration that occurs with age. If I could move better, it would allow more movement. Movement burns up weight. Less weight might mean less pinching of the spinal nerves, which in turns causes arms and legs to stop working and slave finds himself on the floor feeling like an idiot.

Independence from the anger! At times, I feel mad at myself for the poor choices I have made in my life. The situation I find myself in is nobody's fault but mine. Mistakes and poor judgment calls have left me in a position where others can take advantage of me and often I prove too weak to fight back. I do not like anger! Getting mad at someone is like taking a poison and expecting them to get sick. Bottom line, they could care less and it harms you!

Funny thing, as slave writes these and considers them, not one appears impossible to achieve. Gee, do you think it is possible that My Master already knows this? That He could think if I spell it out this way, I could see how I can gain these areas of Independence?

Could this be the motive behind His wanting these posts on Independence this month?

You see, at first – when I got these instructions – my heart sank. Ancient fears of abandonment and desertion rushed out of the past. They threatened to blind and choke me. However, as slave believes that the greatest strength comes from trust, I relied on that complete trust that My Master has earned. I rely on His judgment, His sense of direction.

I do not believe in telling lies. I always attempt to be truthful in all things. I have to other option with My Master. When I write about having trust in Him, I mean it. Slave is not perfect, and often makes mistakes. Slave does fall a lot. I have learned from experience, it is not the fall that kills you. It is the “not getting back up” that seals your doom.


Slave hopes this series on independence has helped some of you. I hope you have done this walk with me. Perhaps we have arrived at the same decisions, perhaps not. However it was the walk, the process, the experience, that was more important than the destination.

Both My Master and this slave wish you the happiest of holidays. Celebrate Independence where ever you find it!

Slave finds his only Independence is found IN my GPS – Master Indy!
socialslave.

To satisfy and restore.
To nourish, support and maintain.
To gratify, spoil, comfort and please,
to nurture, assist, and sustain
..I cook!

Please buy slave's cookbook:

The Little Black Book of Indiscreet Recipes by Dan White http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F315Y4I/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_vAT4sb0934RTM via @amazon


No comments:

Post a Comment