Thursday, May 21, 2020

Virtual Vacation day Three

Is cabin fever setting in? Need to get out and enjoy the countryside. Get back to traveling? Well now you can. Join me this week on a virtual vacation.




Posting every night from Tuesday through Saturday. Enjoy
Thursday starts with another continental breakfast and leave by 8AM. I'll be traveling west away from the sunrise, so I top off the car and head off to the blue highways. This will be a short hour and a half drive to Connersville IN.
To start off take US 35 to Gettysburg Ave south to Ohio 4. Then its on to Ohio 725 west.
According to the map this jogs to become Indiana 44. That will take me right into Connersville.
Wow, no sweat there. Just keep my eyes open.




Southern Indiana has always been a favorite of mine to drive. Rolling hills, forests and greenery everywhere. My great-great-grandfather arrived in the area in the early 1800's as a “sawyer”. These were timber men who cleared the virgin timber and opened it up to farming. He met my Great-Great-Grandmother just a few miles north of the path I was now on.
Dayton has an oldies radio station to carry me for awhile.

It does evoke old memories driving on the state roads and not the institutional Interstates. Yes the speeds were lower but I'm not in any hurry today. I have reservations for the Whitewater Valley Railroad in Connersville. There I have booked a scenic excursion run to the historic canal town of Metamora.

It was 9:40AM when I made town. Finding the train station was not difficult and soon I was boarding the “American Limited”. This is the best way for the trip. Just sit back and just enjoy the landscape.


On the trip a young guide tells of a Civil War battle that occurred there. It was hard to imagine the two armys locked in a bloody battle on the lush countryside. I left it up to my imagination to fill in images of gun powder smoke. The relative I was thinking about earlier may have fought right in front of where these tracks ran. It was an unhurried 19 mile trip taking about an hour and a half.

Metamora, Indiana is the state's only functioning Canal Town! Here is a little Indiana history I learned growing up in Indianapolis in the 50's. In 1836, Indiana decided to build canals since much of the state was very flat. This was before the railroads took over the traffic.
The early hand-dug canals were designed to move goods and people. They were located near rivers and natural waterways which provided necessary water. Draft animals pulled long, narrow boats by a rope next to the canal on a towpath. Although canal travel was painfully slow, this method was much better than wagons for large, heavy loads.
Whitewater Canal was one of several projects completed at the time. 





The town is a nice little tourist trap all set up like it was in the 1800's. I payed a quick visit to the old time gristmill and bought a bag of their freshly stone-ground cornmeal.
Then it was off to ride in a canal boat. Holding the cornmeal made me wish I had waited to buy it on the way home, but I had it and that was that.


I walked down to the dock to board the Ben Franklin III, a canal boat pulled by two Belgian draft horses. This 30 minute ride is an education about canals, the boats, and the Duck Creek Aqueduct. This is perhaps the only covered wooden aqueduct still operating in the United States. The canal is carried over the creek on its own bridge-like structure.
The biggest thing that struck me was the quietness. The soft lapping of the water and the steady clop of the big draft horses. A fresh breeze carried the clean county air over the boat. I could almost take a nap!
Metamora is an example of the kind of towns that grew along the canal routes in Indiana. Stationed every few miles, these towns provided a source of fresh horses, food and lodging for travelers and a place for farmers and others to buy and sell their goods along the canal route. Commerce was so heavy by 1842 that the White Water Valley Canal Company, had their own bank and printed their own currency at their headquarters in Connersville!
Today there must have been 40 different businesses consisting of shops, eateries and lodging.
I just had to visit Grannies Ice Cream and Cookie Jars before boarding the train for the leisurely trip back to Connersville.

Loading today's loot in the car, it was time to get on the road again. According to the map my gas tank should easily last to my next stop, but why worry about it and it gets topped off with a bit over 2 gallons. The $5 is worth not being concerned about hunting stations. I had a three hour drive ahead of me. Again it was mostly the state highways. Driving along them brought some beautiful country air with the assorted long forgotten smells of childhood.

Indiana 44 west takes me to Indiana 3 south. I briefly join the Interstate 65 south before again taking the state road 56 at Scotsburg. This will carry me right into the famous old spa town of French Lick. 


This was the historic world class spa my 3rd grade class had studied. I admit, I refreshed my memory for this write-up.
French Lick Springs and West Baden Springs Hotels had become iconic symbols. The small towns of French Lick and West Baden, became a famed vacation destination for the wealthy.

20 years before the Civil War, Dr. William Bowles built French Lick Springs Hotel. Drawing guests from as far as 100 miles away to partake of the “miracle waters” from the sulfur springs in the area. Five years later, another doctor, seeing its success, decided to build his own health resort naming it West Baden Springs after the famous mineral springs in Wiesbaden, Germany. 

I checked into the West Baden Springs Hotel. It has a six-story domed atrium once dubbed the “Eighth Wonder of the World.”

miracle waters” of the area’s naturally occurring mineral springs did not call me as much as the whole spa experience of being pampered. I'll decide latter on partaking an aromatherapy massage, hydrating facial or a signature Pluto mineral bath.

This old resort is nestled among the hills of the Hoosier National Forest. Old World opulence amid modern comforts. Well that's what the brochure says. I'm ready to be pampered.
I unpack and unwind. Take a quick nap before dressed for dinner at 7PM Ballard's in the Atrium




My choice is the Chicken Penne Vodka…$34
Grilled Chicken, Penne Pasta, Italian Tomatoes sautéed in a Creamy Vodka Sauce topped with Parmesan Cheese
Desert was Chocolate Lava Cake $11
Molten Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream and Chocolate Sauce. You only live once.
Off to bed in my opulent room by 8:30PM.
Looks like another night of Watching DVD and falling asleep.

Tomorrow will be a day of spa treats, hope they can melt away the pounds gained by the fantastic food.

No comments:

Post a Comment