This is as close as slave can come to the memory of that holiday dish. It truly must be the greatest chopped liver in the free world! It is so good, they may even name a sexual position after me. LOL Please resist the temptation to just sit down and shovel this down in one setting.
Instead, it is so inexpensive and easy to make, make it often! Keep 'em happy and they will keep you happy, wink wink.
- 1 lb chicken liver
- 3 large onions
- ¼ cup chicken fat (referred to as schmaltz) I used duck fat!
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the chicken livers and let drain on paper towels.
- Chop the onions and fry in the fat just until it starts to brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, if more schmaltz is needed add it and let it warm before adding the livers.
- Cook the livers, turning often, then remove with slotted spoon to more paper towels.
- Start by processing the cooked onions and any extra fat from the bottom of the bowl they sat in while the livers were frying. Add the livers and pulse a few times. Do not go overboard you want it coarse. Add the chopped eggs and only spin it until they are buried.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Scrape the chopped liver into a serving bowl and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.Serve with crackers.