- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 pkg frozen spinach (thawed)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lg leek, washed and chopped (white and pale green parts only)
- 5 cups low sodium chicken stock
- salt + white pepper, 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄4 cups non fat half-and-half
Cut the leek and rinse well to remove any sand. Peel the potatoes and cut into pieces.
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in spinach, potatoes, and leeks. Stir until vegetables start to turn soft. (about 8 minutes) Add stock and bring to a boil. Cover, then reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until the vegetables are soft (about 15 minutes). Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
Carefully using an immersion blender, bounce the mixer with an up and down motion to blend the soup until smooth. (or transfer mixture to a blender or food processor in batches and process until smooth).
Note: the recipe can be made ahead up to this point. When warming the next day, whisk in the non-fat half & half and serve hot.
DirectionsPreheat the oven to 325F
bacon in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat until crisp,
about 10 minutes;
Drain briefly on paper towels. When drained, chop the bacon into
one-inch pieces, reserving the drippings in the skillet.
- Cook sausages in the hot bacon drippings until evenly browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side; add to another paper towel to drain.
and stir onion in the bacon drippings until tender, 5
to 7 minutes;
again drain on paper towels.