Tonight's chicken dinner is named in honor of President James Buchanan. While all signs indicate he was gay, history has painted him as just not a good president. Serving right before the Civil War, he tried to sympathize with the North AND the South thus drawing the hatred of both!
Here is a simple way to bake chicken thighs in a creamy mushroom sauce. Be sure to read the little write-up about the man who wanted to be President with his lover as vice-president back in the middle of the 1800's.
- 2 Tbs corn starch
- 4 - 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 5 Yukon Gold potatoes
- green beans
- In a small bowl, combine corn starch, paprika, garlic powder and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Season chicken thighs by rubbing this in thoroughly on all sides.
- NOTE: do this before you start your cutting and cleaning. This powder needs to sit on the chicken for at least 5 minutes.
- Scrub the potatoes, rinse the mushrooms.
- Chop ½ onion (save the other half in the freezer.) Mince the garlic.
- Cut up the potatoes. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray. Place the potato pieces in a large bowl and add oil & salt, stir until well combined. Spread out on the foil.
- Heat oil & butter in an oven proof skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken, skin-side down, and sear both sides until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side; Remove chicken pieces and cover with foil.
- Add the mushrooms & onions to the pan and cook, stirring, until browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic during the last 1 minute.
- Slide the tray of potatoes on the bottom rack.
chicken and tent with foil. Place skillet on stove top over medium
heat and stir in the heavy cream. Cook, stirring for about 5
minutes as it thickens.