A word about the stinky rose: GarlicModern medicine agrees there are suggestions that garlic might be able to help manage cholesterol levels and blood pressure. There are two main medicinal ingredients which produce the garlic health benefits: allicin and diallyl sulphides.
Of interesting note, garlic has proven to be a strong natural, broad-spectrum antibiotic. One which bacteria does not become resistant to. This might prove to be very helpful in eliminating “super bugs”
Aged garlic has shown powerful antioxidant effects.
Preliminary studies suggest that garlic consumption may reduce the risk of developing several types of cancer, especially cancers of the G. I. Tract.
On The Other hand:
Raw garlic can be very strong and ingesting too much could produce digestive tract irritation. Also, garlic could potentially disrupt anti-coagulants, so it's best avoided before surgery.
PLEASE NOTE: "can cause a potentially harmful side effect when combined with a type of medication used to treat HIV/AIDS". This is from the NIAID website.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (slave used 4 drumsticks)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- additional garlic and onion powders
- 2TBS Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp low salt soy sauceMarinade:
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk (skim milk + 2 tsp pickle juice)
- 1 TBS kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
DirectionsMix marinade in a closeable plastic bag along with chicken and let sit in refrigerator for a couple of hours.
- Preheat oven to 450°F Line a baking dish or cookie sheet with aluminum foil and a cooking rack lightly coat with cooking spray or lightly brush with oil.
- In small sauté pan, sauté garlic with the oil until tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar. Add additional herbs and spices as desired.
- Place chicken on the sprayed rack. Add Balsamic vinegar and 1 tsp soy sauce to brown sugar mixture and spoon half over the chicken.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
uncovered for 15-30 minutes, or until juices run clear.
Stopping at around 12 minute nark to swivel pan around in oven and
spoon last of mixture on chicken.
time will depend on the size and thickness of your chicken.
Parmesan Zucchini Strips
1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise
egg, beaten ( or egg substitute)
Peel and cut zucchini lengthwise into french fry shapes. Scatter across some paper towels and sprinkle well with kosher salt. Let it sit on the counter top for at least 1 hour, better 2 hours if you have time. This will draw out the moisture and insure a crispy strip. Rinse well and pat dry.